Tuesday, December 12, 2006

End of Year Survey

1. What did you do in 2006 that you'd never done before?
mountain bike, climb a mountain, tube the river, do telephone surveys, become a pastoral partner, get a Master's degree, have the title of college professor, teach intermediate poetry writing, teach 102, wait for someone. it's been a year of new experiences.

2. Did you keep your new year's resolutions, and will you make more for next year?
some and yes

3. Did anyone close to you give birth or adopt?
yes, my college friend Drekka

4. Did anyone close to you die?
no

5. What countries did you visit?
none

6. What would you like to have in 2007 that you lacked in 2006?
health insurance

7. What dates from 2006 will remain etched upon your memory, and why?
April 3, the day I defended my thesis. Oct. 3, which is the day I met Bella

8. What was your biggest achievement of the year?
graduating with my Master's

9. What was your biggest failure?
not standing up for myself when I should have

10. Did you suffer illness or injury?
I was sick once in September. As a dog, actually. It was miserable. I missed two days of class.

11. What was the best thing you bought?
co-op membership

12. Whose behavior merited celebration?
Bella, Bella's kid, my sister

13. Whose behavior made you appalled and depressed?
well, no comment

14. Where did most of your money go?
rent and credit card payments

15. What did you get really, really, really excited about?
meeting Bella and getting to know her. She's fabulous if anyone wants to know :)

16. What song will always remind you of 2006?
Teen Lament by Michelle Malone and the one by Amy Ray on the Indians Nomads Saints CD. I can't think of the title.

17. Compared to this time last year, are you:
a) happier or sadder?
much much happier

b) thinner or fatter?
fatter

c) richer or poorer?
richer

18. What do you wish you'd done more of?
laughing. There is always room for more laughter.

19. What do you wish you'd done less of?
worrying

20. How will you be spending Christmas?
with the fam. Bella's coming in January, though :)

22. How many one-night stands?
none. I don't do that.

23. What was your favorite TV program?
Law and Order: SVU and Xena: Warrior Princess

24. Do you hate anyone now that you didn't hate this time last year?
well, hate is a strong word...

25. What was the best book you read?
Oh gosh, I read so many good ones this year. Here are a few recommendations: Lighthousekeeping by Jeanette Winterson, all of Jasper Fforde's books, rife by Stefanie Marlis

26. What was your greatest musical discovery?
hmm...Bella has made me some pretty cool CD's. Rufus Wainright. Rent. The White Stripes.

27. What did you want and get?
to teach intermediate poetry writing. to have my thesis accepted. to graduate.

28. What did you want and not get?
health insurance

29. What was your favorite film of this year?
Little Miss Sunshine and Lady in the Water, most definitely. I laughed myself hysterical in one and found myself profoundly moved in the other.

30. What did you do on your birthday, and how old were you?
I was 26 and I don't know.

31. What one thing would have made your year immeasurably more satisfying?
health insurance. I had a pretty good year other than that. I really did.

32. How would you describe your personal fashion concept in 2006?
jeans and sandals, gay t-shirts. I think I wore that all summer.

33. What kept you sane?
my cat, playing outside, reading, writing, then meeting Bella :)

34. Which celebrity/public figure did you fancy the most?
Mariska Hargitay

35. What political issue stirred you the most?
the gay marriage amendments

36. Who did you miss?
my sister

37. Who was the best new person you met?
Bella, of course.

38. Tell us a valuable life lesson you learned in 2006:
Take life hour by hour and enjoy the time you have. Someone told me that right after my ex and I broke up, and it really is wonderful advice. Hour by hour is a lot more fun, you know?

39. Quote a song lyric that sums up your year:
I wish I were a nomad, an Indian, or a saint. Give me walking shoes, feathered arms, and key to heaven's gate. Well, I don't think that sums up anything, but it's a good lyric.

No comments: