Tuesday, January 17, 2006

The Swing of Things

I'm starting to get back into the swing of things. I start teaching tomorrow, and I start classes today. I decided on a second class to take in addition to my thesis hours. Took me long enough, I know, but nonetheless, it will be a good one. And I have taken it once before (it's the sort of class you can take over and over again). I really enjoyed it last year, so I decided to do it again. I learned more in there than I have in any other class I have taken in graduate school. Which is saying something. And the workload isn't over the top, so it should mesh well with thesis hours.

I dropped off my thesis draft to the third member of my panel today. Hopefully she will have some valuable feedback. I'm sure she will. I need to contact my chair and other member, as they have had copies since before break.

My cat doesn't know how to react to being home again, so she has been hiding all day everyday :( Poor baby. I have new neighbors who stomp around a lot. My parents live so far out in the country that she hasn't had to deal with that for a while. At the moment, I am bribing her with Wendy's fries. She likes those.

Yesterday I had a girls' day with two friends. I got my ears pierced. I'm still undecided as to how I feel about that, but I think I like it. There was an interesting development later in the evening of which I will say nothing more here. You'll just have to guess (or call me).

I went to the library and borrowed all kinds of movies and lots and lots of poetry books. I am going to read a lot of Kathleen Fraser, who I heard read a few months ago and who I adored so much I was too intimidated to talk to her, Harriette Mullen's Sleeping with a Dictionary because who can skip a book with a glorious title like that, lots and lots of Denise Levertov because I just discovered where the motherload of her books is kept, and the fabulous Allen Ginsberg. Plus my professor loaned me three books by authors I've never heard of, which is always fun. I love getting to know new authors. So stay tuned for the book reviews :)

No comments: