Sunday, January 29, 2006

Going Out

I have had the most wonderful few days going out with friends in the creative writing program. I never go out with everybody, but I decided on Thursday that I would.

We have been listening to candidates for several different positions in the English Department lately. The candidates have to present some aspect of their research to the entire faculty and any interested students and then field questions from the group. It's a fascinating process. On Thursday, we hosted the first of the fiction candidates. She read one of her short stories and then did an excellent job answering questions. She has my vote. This coming Thursday, we are listening to the second candidate.

At any rate, we held a reception for the candidate at a professor's house afterwards, and I had a wonderful time chatting with a bunch of people that I don't get enough time to chat with. Then we all decided to go out for pizza and beer. This is something I never do. I am not much of a beer drinker at all. But I have been trying different kinds and have discovered that I like hefeweisen. This is beside the point.

Last night, two spectacular women, J and S, gave spectacular readings of their work at a local pub. Afterwards, several of us went out again.

I am really enjoying getting out more. I don't know why I didn't do it sooner, but it is absolutely fabulous. I have had the most engrossing conversations with several different people. I am really enjoying myself.

No comments: