Friday, January 20, 2006

Nausicaa of the Valley of the Wind

Another example of Hayao Miyazaki's fine Japanese animation, this movie is one of the finest I have seen in a while. The story features a spectacularly strong female character (Nausicaa) who strives to protect her people from the poisonous forest and the invaders.

Throughout the film, Nausicaa learns that the forest has become very deadly because of human pollution. She also strives to protect the insects that protect the poisonous forest from further contamination. In the end, the natural world and the human world are able to live in harmony once again.

Miyazaki's films frequently include a strong environmental message. The most famous is Princess Mononoke, which I have not yet seen. I hope they get it in the library soon. Miyazaki also wrote the Academy Award winning movie, Spirited Away, which is one of my sister's favorite movies. Personally, I prefer Nausicaa. Go rent it, sis. You'll like it, too.

I never thought that I could get into anime, but I am fascinated by this film. The story is much more mature than any animated movie I have every seen in the United States, yet it is something that children could watch without being frightened. Although there are huge bugs. Beware of the bugs. But they turn out to be nice bugs.

Rating: *****

No comments: