Thursday, March 16, 2006

Why I Chose to Be Medicated

I have been thinking a lot about this in the last few months. In December, I mentioned to someone dear to me that perhaps she should consider medication. Perhaps I should have kept my mouth shut because her reaction was so negative. I hadn't realized until then that she saw my needing medication as a weakness.

Needing medication is not a weakness. Needing medication and not being able to admit it is, in my opinion. It takes a lot of vulva to be able to admit that you need some help, that there is no way on God's green earth that you're going to be able to get your donkeys in a circle without it.

I started medication a little over a year ago, and I have not regreted it. Not for a minute. It took a major crisis for me to realize that I really couldn't stand myself most of the time and that I needed to do something about my anxiety. Luckily I had a wonderful counselor who agreed and has been very supportive. Since then, I've been able to see my life more clearly. I've also been able to see myself in a different light, which is a good thing. I had very high social anxiety before I started medication, and I've been a lot better since last spring. I'm not a hermit anymore. I love to go out and hang out with people. I've made a lot of new friends, which is awesome. I've gotten more involved in my church. I've gone out on several dates in the last couple of months. It's been wonderful. I know I would not be at this point without the medication.

So if you are reading and you are considering medication, I encourage you to look into it. It's a good thing.*

* Here ends Emily's commercial for mental health medication.

No comments: