Sunday, March 12, 2006

Dyke in a Choir Robe

I joined the church choir. I'm extremely excited about it. I sang for the first time today. It was a lot of fun. I've missed singing in a group. I haven't done that in a while. I sang in choir all through high school and then had a brief stint as a member of the Gospel choir in college. I loved that but ended up not having time for all the rehearsals.

I've been really active lately, actually, which is why I haven't been here blogging my heart out as usual. On Thursday night, I volunteered at a local homeless shelter that my church is very involved with. It was an awesome experience. It was also a very heart-breaking experience. There were small children there with all of their relatives, from their parents to their great-grandparents. There were a couple of people who were severely schitzophrenic. They talked to several different people who were not physically present. There were also several people there who had severe problems with alcohol and drugs. There were a couple of college students who couldn't afford to both house themselves and go to college. There were also a number of people who worked full time and yet still couldn't afford to make ends meet. It snowed on Thursday, and the floor was filled with more people than the shelter had beds. At one point, someone brought a couple packages of new socks, and I have never seen such excitement with such a small offering. It was an experience I won't soon forget.

On Friday night, I went to hear a very well-known fiction writer read from her work. She was hilarious. I loved her. I don't own any of her books, but I will someday.

On Saturday morning, I began training for a new group in my church called the Pastoral Partners. Basically, I will keep track of five or so families or individuals and make sure that the church is aware of their needs. It will involve regular phone calls and emails and coffee. I'm really excited about being a part of the ministry and touched that they would have thought of me when they started recruiting people.

Saturday evening, I went out with a few friends to a restaurant, then to see Transamerica, which was awesome (the review will come soon), and then out for drinks at a bar. It was fun. I haven't had so much fun in a while.

Today I am cleaning my apartment because it is filthy and it stinks. I am also watching season two of the "L Word," which I absolutely adore. I just got disc one from netflix. I will be moving discs two, three, and four up just as soon as I mail this one back.

My dad, who is wonderful and kind, also sent me the new Harry Potter dvd as a surprise yesterday. I watched it right after church. It's great.

No comments: