Monday, March 13, 2006

Some Days I Love My Job

Today I had a very cool female student stay after class to talk to me about her writing. This student does not have very much confidence, which is sad because her writing is so wonderful. In fact, she is by far the best writer in the class. She blows everyone else away. This student is so shy that she cannot look me in the eye when she talks to me. She reminds me of myself in a lot of ways. At any rate, she stayed after class to talk about a certain poem that no one in the class understood. The poem was absolutely amazing. The sound in it was brilliant and subtle, and the theme was not obvious. This worked in the poem's favor. It was a fantastic poem. My student was upset that the class didn't understand it. She didn't need to be, and I told her so. At any rate, she is thinking about transferring to a school with a great creative writing program for undergraduates. I gave her a list of schools that I think are good, and I'm gladly accepting other options if you all know of any. Please let me know. I'm also compiling a list of very contemporary poets for her. I am going to include this list here, and I'm gladly accepting additions to it. Seriously.

Schools:
Warren Wilson
University of Montana
Anywhere in Ann Arbor
University of Georgia
University of Alabama
Boise State University
Eastern Washington University
Hollins College

Poets:
Anne Carson
Joyelle McSweeney
Lyn Hejinian
Catherine Wagner
Michael Palmer
D.A. Powell
Brigitte Byrd
Ed Allen
Muriel Ruykeiser (spelling?)
Linda Gregg
Fence Magazine
any books published by Fence or recently by Ahsahta
Eleni Sikelianos
Stefanie Marlis
Joe Wenderoth
Harryette Mullen
Kathleen Fraser
Allen Ginsberg

Any suggestions from my readers?

No comments: