Tuesday, March 14, 2006

10 Things You May or May Not Know about Me

In no particular order

10. My sister is the most amazing person I know. She's kind and thoughtful and extremely talented and cool. I can tell her anything, and she will hear me.

9. I currently have 14 kinds of tea on my shelf. I have recently been swapping teas with a friend and have doubled my collection through that. I love tea.

8. I think of myself as a Buddhist Christian. I can't explain it any farther than that, though, so please don't ask. I'll post more when I can articulate it or even make it make sense to myself.

7. I am a follower of the Virgin of Guadalupe, not as she is defined by the church but as she is re-interpreted by Sandra Cisneros and Cherrie Moraga.

6. I used to consider myself a Republican. I couldn't justify it. I just didn't really know any different. My entire home county is made up of Republicans, and my mother is very tight-lipped about her liberal political beliefs.

5. I love to drive. I could spend days and days just driving cross country and be very much at peace.

4. I give copies of Mary Oliver's New and Selected Poems to dates because liking Mary Oliver shows a sense of awe in simple things. I like that in a person.

3. My favorite day of the year is December 26, the day of my grandmother's Christmas party. I look forward to it all year. This past year, my ex asked me to skip it to visit her earlier, and I cried for days. I did not skip it. I just could never articulate to her how important it was to me. I know that the person I end up marrying will look forward to visiting her family as much as I look forward to visiting mine.

2. I am out to just about everyone in my life, and it is a relief. I was closeted last summer for various reasons, and that was one of the hardest things I've ever done. It was for good reasons. However, I got used to it, and that frightened me. I was really shocked to return home and realize that everyone knows that I am gay and that it's perfectly okay. I'd gottten used to the shame and fear. I'm not sure that I would or even could put myself through that again. I like being out.

1. I like public displays of affection (you know, holding hands and such).

and one to grow on :) I really want a tattoo.

No comments: