Tuesday, April 25, 2006

A Smattering of Brief Movie Reviews

Ultimate Lesbian Short Film Festival
Rating: **

There are a couple of good shorts on here, but most of them are pretty lame. I absolutely adore lesbian short films, so this one was kind of a disappointment.

Walk the Line
Rating: *****

This one is absolutely fantastic. The music is great, the acting is great, and the story is great. Whether you like Johnny Cash or not is beside the point. The love story element is sweet and moving. Reese Witherspoon does a fantastic job as June Carter Cash. I have to admit, I was a little disappointed when she won the Oscar (I was cheering for Felicity Huffman), but she definitely deserved it.

North Country
Rating: *****

This movie is about the first class action sexual harrassment case in the United States (I think, at least). The story is fascinating. Charlize Theron is amazing, as always. Most of the guys in the movie pissed me off, but that was the point. I liked seeing the growth in the father, though. It was unexpected and very much appreicated. Sissy Spacek and Frances McDormand also did an outstanding job in the film.

No comments: