Friday, April 14, 2006

On Dating and Being Single

I just read something in a new forum that I absolutely adore on being secure as a single person. I have written a lot on this blog about "dating." I have been quite an active dater lately. I had never really dated, casually or otherwise, before I met my ex, and I always wanted to know what that was like. I have met a tremendous number of amazing women over the last couple of months. I have been really open to blind dates, and to be honest, it has been extremely fun. More than anything, it has helped me see what I do and don't want in a relationship, and this was good for me to realize. I've even made a couple of new friends, which I'm very happy about.

I have always been a comfortable single person. I enjoy my own company, and I'm not afraid to do things alone that I want to do. The women I admire most in my life are the same way. One woman, Sheri, advised me when I first met her to stay single as long as I can because the freedom to be able to do whatever you want to do is something that should only be sacrificed to someone who is truly worth it. The first time I went to a restaurant by myself just because I felt like eating there, my mother was extremely proud. She always told me that you have to be able to make yourself happy and that you can't depend on someone else to do that. This is something I have found to be true in myself.

One thing that really failed in my last relationship was that we depended on each other too much. We were both very lonely when we met and really jumped in with both feet far too soon. I certainly don't regret that relationship. I do believe that everything happens for a reason, and I'm glad to have had the opportunity to know her. When we broke up, I really needed to get to know myself again, and I believe that I have done that, and I am once again a very comfortable single person.

It happens that I have met someone recently who I have become very close to in a short amount of time. I've never clicked with someone like that before. I don't know what will happen with her, and I haven't written about her much here, I know, and I have done that on purpose. I guess I want to see where it goes before I talk too much. I will say that she makes me re-evaluate the single life, though :)

No comments: