Friday, December 09, 2005

Movies

Since my classes ended yesterday, I spent today lying around like third base. I watched the "The Forgotten" this afternoon, which was quite a bit different than I thought it would be. I had no idea that it was an alien movie. I really like creepy sci-fi movies, but this one was pretty mediocre. The alien bit was really over the top.

Then I watched "Taming of the Shrew" with Elizabeth Taylor. It's definitely not my favorite of Shakespeare's plays, but it was okay. I really hate the ending of that one. I keep wanting Kate to knock Petruchio on his ass at the end, but she never does. It's rather sad.

What really rocked was "Xena: Warrior Princess." I've been renting that one from Netflix for a while now. I'm midway through season 2. It's quite a fun show, very campy and lesbian. I just finished the episode called "The Quest." It's the one where Xena and Gabrielle kiss for the first time. It was fun. What else can I say? I liked it.

Tomorrow the grading begins. I have 26 poetry portfolios to grade. I had one outstanding class this semester. It was the best class I've ever had. They were so enthusiastic. We did a lot more in there than we did in my other class, mostly because of the interest and the maturity level. Most of the students in there were non-traditional. I enjoy the non-traditional students quite a lot. They know exactly what they want to get out of courses, and they work hard and do well in their classes. This particular class showed a lot of interest in the Beat poets, which thrilled me. I love the Beat poets. The best thing about this class, though, was that they would take ideas and run with them. For example, I'd bring in a poet as an example of something one day, and the next day, four students would come in and tell me about how they went to the library to check out books on that poet. It was awesome. I love my job.

No comments: