Saturday, December 10, 2005

Grading Papers

Perhaps I am a little strange, but I love grading papers. I have had a wonderful time grading poetry portfolios today. Of course, it might have been the company. I went to my favorite Italian restaurant with one of my best friends, Rennick, who wanted to study for her psychology finals. We ate and talked and laughed and I read her more than one poem from my portfolios. I'm surprised she didn't throw her psychology book at me and tell me to zip it so that she could study. She didn't, though.

I am in a rough place right now. My fiance dumped me two weeks ago today. However, now she won't quit calling me and begging me to get back together with her. I just don't know what to do. We were together a few days over two years. She was my first relationship. What happened to end it was a very emotionally abusive explosion on her part. She's in ten kinds of therapy now, thank goodness, but I don't know whether to hang around and see what happens or run screaming. It's not an easy place to be in.

It wasn't until this crisis happened that I realized that I have extremely wonderful friends. They've really let me depend on them. Rennick has dragged me out running about every day, which is wonderful. I ran for about six years and then got out of the habit. We're training for a 5k run now. We want to run one in the late spring or summer. It will be wonderful. Another friend knitted me a Harry Potter scarf and has spent many hours chatting with me and distracting me from the crisis at hand, which is greatly appreciated. Several friends who are out of town have emailed and called several times. I have wonderful friends. Despite the anxiety involved in this crisis, I'm glad I had the opportunity to see just how wonderful they are.

No comments: