Wednesday, November 22, 2006

Change

It has been nearly a year since my fiance and I broke up. In fact, today would have been our third anniversary. I can honestly say that I am so much better off now than I ever would have been still in that situation. Many people have commented on that in the last couple of weeks, in fact. A year ago today, my fiance was not speaking to me. That in itself is a long story, but it made for a shitty anniversary. The thing that got me, though, was that I don't think she would have had any idea it was our anniversary if I hadn't said anything. That is in the past, though, and I really have put it behind me.

This year, I am in an entirely new space, which is really amazing. I have my Master's and a job teaching students that I adore (for the most part). I am more active in my church, which I also adore and would have greatly missed when I moved to a different city. I also would have missed out on the opportunity to meet so many more wonderful people there through the pastoral partners ministry, and that would truly have been a great loss to me. I did all kinds of fabulous things this summer with new friends. I really got to explore the state and camp and hike and mountain bike and tube the river and stargaze and explore animal tracks on sand dunes, and I would have really missed out on such a great part of life without those opportunities. Next summer, I am determined to learn to kayak. I have read more for sure, mostly beautiful and funny, touching books (all of which are available on a recommendation list upon request ;). Today, the person I am waiting for sent me and my family a beautiful bouquet of flowers. That is one of the sweetest things anyone has done for me lately. I have spent the last few days Christmas shopping for her and her son (*insert teasing grin here*).

What I am trying to say is that it was a very hard winter and life didn't work out the way I had planned, but I got through it and things are looking so much brighter. I wouldn't trade this year of change for anything in the world. I am a much better person for walking through it.

No comments: