Friday, February 03, 2006

Literary Speed Dating

I got this idea from the frogblog. It involves listing three books which can be used to get to know people. The idea is to get to know people based on similar reading tastes. I was fascinated by this idea when I saw it earlier today, both because it's a great idea and because I have used it a lot. When I first came out, I had a crush on a woman, and I gave her a copy of Mary Oliver's New and Selected Poems. She didn't read it. I knew it wouldn't work out. In my first long term relationship, I gave her the same book for her birthday. I knew I loved her when she read it and liked it. Well okay, I knew I loved her long before that, but it certainly was nice :) At any rate, books are important to me. I don't think I could date someone who didn't like to read. I love to swap books with people. My sister gave me a couple of wonderful books for Christmas, and I have enjoyed them a lot. Books are one of the best signs of affection, I think.

So anyway, my three books:
1. New and Selected Poems by Mary Oliver
2. Traveling Mercies by Anne Lamott
3. Rapture of Canaan by Sheri Reynolds

If I had to pick a fourth, it would be Kaddish and Other Poems by Allen Ginsberg.

No comments: