Monday, February 27, 2006

Importance of Gay-Straight Alliances

Geez, let them have their club already!

My high school didn't have one. Only one school in my home county currently has one, and it wasn't formed until after I graduated from college. Much too late to benefit anyone I knew. Since I have graduated, I have learned that there sure were a lot of us queers in high school, and it sure would have been nice to have had some sort of place where we felt safe being out. I mean, come on, we all knew we were gay in high school. Maybe we would have come out a lot sooner if we'd had support at some level. I know the idea of gays coming out freaks out all the fundies, but seriously, it's a good thing. It takes a lot of guts to be who you are, and it seems to me like that's something we actually ought to be encouraging in kids. Plus tolerance and acceptance from the school would really go a long way to reducing violence against queers. I'm all for that.

No comments: