Wednesday, July 12, 2006

The Buffet

"I think I have really adapted this attitutde that my spiritual jounrney requires slices, bits and pieces of different religions, philosphies and belief systems."

Someone very wise said this to me today, and it articulated perfectly the shape my own spirituality is taking. I have been at the religious buffet for quite some time. No one religion does it for me anymore. I am perfectly comfortable at my Christian church, though. It's just the sort of place where a lot of people feed at the religious buffet and feel comfortable talking about it.

On Monday, I received news that my pastor is in the process of leaving our church. I am very saddened by this, both because I adore her and because she is the one who first showed me that it was okay to be comfortable at the religious buffet. She is always there herself. I will miss her presence at my church a great deal. She is the reason I ended up there in the first place.

No comments: