Friday, August 25, 2006

Student

A couple years ago, in my second semester of teaching, I had a student write a paper about being molested as a child. It was a very difficult paper to read, and it was obvious that he was just beginning to come to terms with what had happened to him (I think he was 27 at the time). I always meet with my students one on one after the first essay and so I had to talk to this student about his essay. I really wasn't sure what to say, to be honest, but I had a couple of counseling center phone numbers to give to him. Well, he used those numbers and got the help he needed. I had him in my poetry class again last year, and he was doing wonderfully. Today he sent me a link to a podcast interview that he did about what happened to him as a child and how far he has come since he started going to therapy in the middle of his first semester of college. I don't think I have ever been so proud of a student. I'm not posting the links here, mostly because they reveal location, but I will certainly pass them on to anyone who is interested.

No comments: