Thursday, June 01, 2006

Blogging for LGBT Families

I want to participate, but I'm not sure what all I have to say. Give us equal rights! I think that about says it. I want to be able to get married and to have kids someday without having to spend thousands drawing up papers to give our family the protection we need.

It is now June, and I fully anticipated my family to look a lot differently at this time. I was engaged and in a very serious relationship until November. Then for a lot of reasons but one in particular, that relationship ended. It was a long distance relationship and would have been until I graduated last month. I would have then been moving to the other side of the country to live with her.

My life has looked a lot different since that relationship has ended. This isn't necessarily a bad thing, just different. I officially have a teaching job at the university where I've been a teaching assistant. I really wasn't sure if I would be able to continue to teach once I moved east, and I was sad about that. It's just that my career likely would have come second since it was less established than hers was. I love teaching, and I'm glad that I get to continue doing it. It is my calling.

Relationship-wise, I have been on a lot of dates since about February. There was one woman I was extremely interested in, but it didn't work out. Oh well. I have learned a lot about myself and what I want this past spring, though. I have also had a whole lot more time to spend with friends, and I've reconnected with a lot of people. It has been nice.

As far as family goes, like many lgbt people, I have done some redefining of the idea of family. I am close to my family of origin, but they are not my only family. There is another woman and her son who I have known and loved since I was born. They are also my family. They have been accepting of me since the day I came out, which I can't say about my family of origin, although they are much much better now. I also have several close friends who count as family. Most of them do not live where I am currently living, but I hope to live in their town again someday. And I will.

No comments: