Thursday, May 10, 2007

Learning

"We teach people how to treat us."
--my counselor

Lately, I have been working on setting boundaries. This is a really hard thing for me to do. When things bother me, I very rarely am able to say that things are not okay. My counselor says I kind of play the role of a doormat a lot of times because I just have trouble speaking up when things are bothering me. I just assume, for whatever reason, that I deserve whatever is bothering me and that I don't deserve better. My goal has now become to speak up when things aren't okay. It's hard, it pushes me way out of my comfort zone, and sometimes it pisses people off. It's also very revealing sometimes, and it has made me think very hard out of what I want out of all of my relationships (friends, family, partners, whatever). This is huge and important for me. I don't think I've ever listened so closely to what it is that I am feeling. I figure this learning is a good thing.

No comments: