Monday, June 16, 2008

In Serious Need of Funds

For those of you who don't know, I volunteer weekly at a local homeless shelter. As of tonight, that shelter is seriously hurting, due to lack of funds. Until this year, the shelter has been only a winter shelter, but we opened our doors in November with the intent never to close them. Unfortunately, we have seriously had to limit our hours beginning at the end of the month, as well as cut back staffing, because there is simply no money to keep the doors open as long as we would like.

If you have been watching the news, you will have heard about the foreclosure rate in the United States. With the economy being as bad as it is, people are losing jobs and they are losing their homes. These are many of the people we are serving at this shelter. Many of them are homeless for the first time. Many of them have small children. Many of them are still working full-time. Right now, we house 115-140 people each night. That is astronomical.

Because I know those of you who read my blog are generous people, many in prayer as well as finances, I am asking that you consider helping the people who stay at this shelter. I am providing a link. Your donations are tax deductible. We also appreciate any prayers and/or good wishes you can spare.

http://interfaithsanctuary.wordpress.com/

1 comment:

Scourge (Skûrj) said...

I came across this site that helps people collect funds. I haven't used it myself but I did have a look-see and it is genuine.

The link: http://www.peerdreams.com

You need to have a paypal account. You could create your page and tell everyone you know about so that they can contribute something.

Good luck. My prayers are also with you.

Scourge!